Congratulations on your vehicle purchase and on your foresight in purchasing Autosure Extreme Mechanical Breakdown Insurance so that you can enjoy worry free motoring.
Please take time to familiarise yourself with this material. You need to know and understand this information. in particular, you should note that this insurance policy might not cover you if you do not follow the vehicle servicing requirements set out in this policy. Advice regarding the correct fuel for your vehicle is contained in the manufacturer’s operating instructions. Using the correct fuel will ensure that your vehicle operates in a safe, economical and environmentally friendly condition.
Autosure Mechanical Breakdown Insurance is underwritten by Vero Insurance New Zealand Limited.
Vero Insurance New Zealand Limited is the insurer under this contract and is referred to as “we”, “our” or “us”
“you” or “your” means the insured person or persons named on your Policy Certificate.
Authorised Repair Facility: Repairs must be undertaken by an Autosure approved repairer. Please refer to the section headed “What To Do If You Have A Claim”
Cancellation: We may cancel this policy at any time by sending a letter to this effect to you at your last known postal address. The cancellation will take effect at 4:00pm on the 7th day after the letter has been sent. We will refund the unused part of your paid premium
GST: All claim limits; other benefits and excess include GST.
Vehicle Details: Your vehicle details are shown on your Policy Certificate.
If your vehicle details are incorrect in any way with regard to make, model, year or odometer reading, then you may not qualify for the extent of cover you have selected.
It is important that you check this and advise us immediately if any details are incorrect.
FAIR INSURANCE CODE
As members of the Insurance Council of New Zealand, we are committed to complying with the Council’s Fair Insurance Code.
This includes requirements for us to:
1. Provide insurance contracts, setting out in plain English what is insured, what is not and what your obligations are;
2. Settle all valid claims fairly and promptly;
3. Where a claim is declined, clearly explain the reasons for this;
4. Fully investigate complaints, advise you of the outcome &, when necessary, tell you about the Insurance & Savings Ombudsman Scheme.
This cover applies to your vehicle if your Policy Certificate shows Extreme Cover.
The reasonable cost to repair the actual failure of mechanical or electrical parts as a result of a sudden and unforeseen breakdown that occurs during normal use in New Zealand unless otherwise excluded.
WE WILL PAY
In addition to the Other Benefits outlined on page 10 the claim limit for any one breakdown is:
• Standard Vehicles up to 150,000 kms No claim limit
• Special Category Vehicles up to 150,000 kms $12,000
• European Vehicles up to 150,000 kms $10,000
1. There is no limit to the number of claims that can be made during the policy period
2. The odometer reading limit is as at the date of commencement of cover
Vehicles 12 years old and less that have travelled less than 150,000 kms at the commencement of cover falling into the following categories:
A. Standard Vehicles:
Petrol powered vehicles other than those described in B & C and not listed in Excluded Vehicles
B. Special Category Vehicles:
• Turbo vehicles • Diesel powered vehicles
• Supercharged Vehicles • Hybrid vehicles
• Vehicles manufactured in the USA • Mazda RX8
C. European Vehicles:
Diesel or Petrol powered vehicles manufactured in Europe including but not limited to: Alfa Romeo, Audi, BMW, Citroen, Daimler, Fiat, Jaguar, Lancia, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, MG, Mini, Opel, Peugeot, Renault, Rover, Saab, Seat, Skoda, Vauxhall, Volvo and Volkswagen.
There is no cover for any of the following vehicles:
• GVM over 3500 KG;
• Over 12 years old or have travelled more than 150,000 kms;
• Powered by engines with more than 8 cylinders;
• Modified in any way from the manufacturer’s standard specification;
• Manufactured by Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Jensen, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati, Porsche, Rolls Royce or TVR;
• BMW M3, M5 and M6 series, BMW 7 series, Mercedes-Benz AMG series and Mazda RX7;
• Used as taxis, rentals, courier vehicles, shuttles, any fare paying passenger vehicle or goods delivery vehicle.
If your vehicle falls into this category a refund of premium will be made on request.
You must contribute the amount shown as the excess as the first amount of each unrelated claim. You must pay the excess to the repairer before you collect your vehicle.
A. Standard Vehicles: $100
B. Special Category Vehicles: $250
C. European Vehicles: $350
WE DO NOT COVER
We will not pay for:
1. Repairs that are covered by the manufacturers warranty or repairs that are the subject of a manufacturers recall or any component design fault or any damage arising from the design fault;
2. Any fault existing at the commencement of cover and any resulting damage;
3. Chassis, panel, paintwork, glass, upholstery and any other cosmetic item;
4. Batteries, exhaust systems, catalytic converters, tyres, entertainment systems, global positioning systems, heated seat elements, light bulbs, communication systems, fuel tanks, air bag suspension, keys and remotes;
5 Manual clutch and flywheels;
6. Any costs relating to servicing, maintenance, adjustment or tuning;
7. Costs arising from the failure of the cambelt and/or any resulting damage when the cambelt is not replaced in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendation;
8. Repairs necessitated by external causes, contamination, perishing, corrosion, rust, consequential loss or damage, accident damage, fire damage, water damage, theft, willful damage, misuse, neglect, faulty repair and/or defective workmanship;
9. Repairs necessitated by the failure of any plastic components due to gradual deterioration and any resulting damage;
10. Repairs resulting from incorrect use of fuel, oil, lubricant, coolant or any other fluid. This includes using the wrong octane fuel grade and the use of any bio fuel;
11. Any repairs commenced or carried out without our approval.
ACCOMMODATION, CAR RENTAL, RETURN HOME AND REPATRIATION COSTS
If your vehicle takes more than 24 hours to repair and you are more than 100kms away from your home you may choose from the following, subject to a maximum claim limit of $1,500. We will reimburse you for:
• Up to 10 days accommodation; or
• Up to 10 days rental car hire costs; or
• Return home costs (such as air fares); or
• Repatriation costs for your vehicle to your home address or another convenient location, whichever is closer, up to $500.
A. You must take all reasonable steps to protect your vehicle from breakdown and comply with the manufacturers servicing, operating and safety recommendations. This information can be found in the owners handbook for your vehicle, the manufacturers website or from any authorised service centre.
B. This policy does not apply if your vehicle is used in racing competitions, time trials, rallies, speed testing, pace making, reliability trials or any offroad activities.
C. If any claim under this policy is supported by any incorrect information or statement or is in any respect fraudulent, then your claim is not payable and this entire policy automatically terminates from the date that the incorrect statement or fraudulent claim was made to us.
D. If you breach any policy term or condition no claim will be payable under this policy. Nothing in this policy affects our rights to avoid the policy for non-disclosure.
E. This policy applies to you and your vehicle and is not transferable or refundable.
F. You must comply with the service requirements detailed in this policy.
G. Your vehicle must have a current warrant of fitness. If it does not you may not have a valid claim.
AA ROADSERVICE COVER
Extreme cover provides you with free AA Roadservice
24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a Week, 365 Days a Year AA Roadservice will be there to help.
For assistance phone AA Roadservice direct on
0800 581 581
You will need to quote your policy number and vehicle registration number.
1. Mechanical Breakdown – Call the AA any time of the day or night and help will soon be on the way.
2. Towing – If your vehicle has mechanical problems and cannot be mobilised at the time of the breakdown, the AA will arrange to tow the vehicle free of charge to the nearest Authorised Repair Facility. If you want the vehicle to be towed to another repairer then you may be required to pay the towing charges.
3. Flat Battery – If the vehicle battery is flat and your vehicle will not start, the AA will attempt to restart it for you. If a new battery is required this can be supplied at your cost.
4. Lockout Service – Locking the keys in the car is something that can happen to anyone. The AA will arrange to have someone come to you so you can be on your way again.
5. Lost Keys – The AA will arrange a locksmith to help get you back into your vehicle. Any replacement keys will be at your cost.
6. Change of Flat Tyres – In the event of a flat tyre the AA will change the tyre for you. If there is no spare, the AA will arrange towing to the nearest facility at your cost.
7. Out of Fuel – If you are unfortunate enough to have run out of fuel the AA will deliver free of charge, fuel to your vehicle. Applicable fuel charges will apply.
AA Roadservice does not apply under the following circumstances;
• Unattended vehicles or vehicles over three tonnes gross laden weight.
• Recovered stolen vehicles or vehicles which are not roadworthy or safe, or have been operated in an unsafe or illegal manner.
• Vehicles carrying loads beyond legal limits.
• Vehicles at a repairers premise or garage
• Vehicles which are not on public or formed roads, or which are trapped or bogged.
• When the vehicle was being used for racing, pacemaking, speed testing, reliability trials, competitions or off road activities at the time of the breakdown.
• Vehicles which will not operate as a result of a motor vehicle accident.
• Breakdowns covered under other insurance policies.
• Anytime when it would be dangerous or illegal for AA personnel or contractors to repair, load or transport the vehicle and/or its occupants.
You may make up to 5 AA Roadservice callouts per year.
Note: AA Roadservice is provided and administered by The New Zealand Automobile Association Incorporated, its service providers, contractors and sub-contractors.
AA Roadservice is separate from, and not part of your insurance contract with Vero Insurance New Zealand Limited. Vero does not accept any responsibility arising from AA Roadservice.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE A CLAIM
To make a claim on this policy you must take the following steps:
1. As repairs must be carried out by an authorised repair facility, phone Claims Services on 0800 809 700 to lodge a claim and to obtain details of the nearest repairer.
2. If the vehicle can be driven safely without causing further damage take it to the nearest authorised repairer or otherwise have it towed.
3. Present your policy to the service manager or repairer to determine if the breakdown constitutes a claim under the policy.
4. In some instances we may require you to complete a claim form.
5. We will also require other documentation such as proof of servicing and other relevant invoices.
6.If the repairer is unable to determine the fault it may be necessary to dismantle parts. If this is the case we must be notified, however, only you can authorise this work. The contract for repair is between you and the repairer.
7. We may agree to indemnify you in relation to costs covered under this policy
8. We reserve the right to supply new, used or reconditioned parts at our discretion.
AUTHORISED REPAIRER INSTRUCTIONS
When contacted by an Autosure customer, prior to commencing repairs please contact
Claims Services on 0800 809 700 (option 1) and advise us that you wish to make a
Mechanical Breakdown claim.
You will need to provide us with the following information:
• Policy Number
• Odometer reading
• Registration number
• Initial diagnosis of problem
• Estimated cost of repairs
If the claim is accepted we will authorise repairs and issue a repair authorisation number.
Once work is completed please forward the invoice to;
Autosure New Zealand
PO Box 33 1248
Invoices should provide full customer details, full details of the work completed and copies of any subcontracted work (when requested).
• R EPAIRS MUST NOT BE COMM ENCED UNLESS AUTHORISED.
• ANY REPAIRS NOT AUTHORISED ARE NOT COVERED.
SERVICING YOUR VEHICAL
You are required to keep your vehicle serviced at your cost to ensure the cover under this policy remains in place.
You may have your vehicle serviced at any recognised Service Facility.
Vehicles must be serviced within the following distance or time period, whichever comes first, from the date of purchase of the vehicle:
Petrol powered vehicles must be serviced every 15,000 km or 12 months
Diesel powered vehicles must be serviced every 10,000 km or 12 months
The following must be checked and attended to as required:
• Change engine oil and oil filter;
• All fluid levels and condition;
• Air filter;
• All belts. Replace if necessary. Please note cambelts must be replaced as specified by the vehicle manufacturer;
• Cooling system including inhibitor and hoses;
• Turbo oil feed;
• Automatic transmission;
• Braking system including brake fluid condition;
• Air conditioning;
• Steering and suspension systems.
The cost of servicing is at your expense.
Once a service is completed you must make sure that the Service Facility completes and stamps the service check history at the time of the service.
This information will be required in the event of a claim. Previous servicing invoices will also be required in the event of a claim. Please retain all of these invoices for future reference.